Launched at the beginning of 2017, The Messenger is among the most journalistically promising startups to enter the East African media market.
We’re really just at the beginning of our journey. What can you expect from The Messenger? Well, to start with, our Manifesto explains what The Messenger is all about. Check it out.
Secondly, we’ve put together an indicative timetable for 2017-2019, which shows some of the milestones that you can expect us to be hitting along the way as we grow. Just to give you a better idea where we’re heading:
Year 1 (2017)
- Introducing brand
- Website launch
- Newsletter launch
- Prototype digital magazines
- Building social media presence
- Lean structure
- Introducing patron system
- Founding group of writers, photographers
Year 2 (2018)
- New digital products rollout
- Strategic partnerships & licensing arrangements
- Significant reader growth
- Premium product & ad sales
- Expansion of Amharic section
- New contributors, more content
Year 3 (2019)
- Structural maturation
- Strategic reviews & adjustments
- Additional language(s) introduced
- Brand & community development
- Major investigative projects
Beyond that… it’s hard to say!
This post is part of a series of planned updates on the business side of our journalism. Interested in learning more? Sign up for our weekly email newsletter to keep up.